I’m sorry, but there is no reason to “hate” Dan Savage. I find it odd that the person who wrote this has left out the links to these quotes, making it slightly more difficult to find the context of these quotes. I understand why people are angry that he has not come out as more accepting of transexuals or bisexuals or asexuals or fatties, but since when does a differing opinion warrant hatred?
Aren’t people capable of adapting and evolving on their positions? We live in a society now where something I say today will be considered part of my permanent record forever, regardless of whether I gradually adapt my understanding of whatever the offensive comment is.
And if you want someone like Dan Savage to adapt their understanding, you don’t send him hate mail and write posts recommending that others hate him as well. All hate does is confirm in the mind of the hated person that their comments were justified.
But I guess that’s just modern politics now: people who say something that offends me deserve my hatred and contempt, rather than a dialogue on why their words are offensive. People have become so rigid in their opinions that they demonize anyone who does not share those opinions NOW NOW NOW. Disagreement is not simply a disconnection between understandings, it’s an assault on me, personally, and should not be tolerated at all.
This is why we have such a polarized political system today. Everyone has dug in their heels and decided that litmus tests are awesome and words are permanent indications of morality.
Dan Savage does a lot of good for both the gay community and for sexual liberation, and perhaps he does lack the decorum to approach certain sensitive issues of sexuality, but the reason he has achieved his level of popularity is precisely because he’s not politically sensitive and his approach is pretty shoot-from-the-hip.
Disagree with him? Absolutely. Make your case that his words harm people? Absolutely. Hate him for it? Never.
1. Dan Savage hates trans people and uses transphobic slurs.
“Children have a right to some stability and constancy from the adults in their lives. Perhaps I’m a transphobic bigot, but I honestly think waiting a measly 36 months to cut your dick is a sacrifice any father…
- stupidoldtimeycharms reblogged this from forgetpolitics and added:
- othersidhe likes this
- teapartee likes this
- littlealternativegirl likes this
- myfemalegaze reblogged this from positiveconnotation
- myfemalegaze likes this
- thejewelheart reblogged this from positiveconnotation
- kissedthystones likes this
- thedoodypoo reblogged this from positiveconnotation and added:
- handbloggin likes this
- slytherynn reblogged this from positiveconnotation
- agirlofyore likes this
- dearmegan11 reblogged this from positiveconnotation and added:
- cacty likes this
- fromohiotola likes this
- dearmegan11 likes this
- positiveconnotation reblogged this from beccabae
- lesbianloversofmiami reblogged this from forgetpolitics
- riseabovethemadness likes this
- shiracirca likes this
- anindoliveblogsthings reblogged this from ardentsonata
- rosesmusings likes this
- ardentsonata reblogged this from ineedanumbrella
- ineedanumbrella reblogged this from forgetpolitics
- nothing-but-white-noise reblogged this from forgetpolitics
- amelian-dollars likes this
- fuckinggrahams likes this
- alwaysyourplan-z reblogged this from natrsrants
- natrsrants reblogged this from sofriggencoolx
- mjhd53 reblogged this from fatbeyonce
- fatbeyonce reblogged this from beccabae and added:
- therearekingsamongus reblogged this from beccabae
- lordfluffs likes this
- magiceve reblogged this from damegreywulf
- sassydipper reblogged this from damegreywulf
- kittynomnomstyle reblogged this from kshandra
- datagoddess reblogged this from kshandra
- themistoklis likes this
- kshandra reblogged this from hercurvestofear
- thehotgirlproject likes this
- hornymarxist likes this
- jellobatch reblogged this from forgetpolitics
- hercurvestofear reblogged this from beccabae
- lostdoughnut likes this
- chaka1987 reblogged this from forgetpolitics and added:
- hislittlebliss reblogged this from beccabae
- hislittlebliss likes this
- subwaypoetry likes this
- worship-the-emenator-because-she likes this
- fivedozencats likes this